the places I visit on the island paradise where I live


Feb 10, 2013

Carnaval Comes to Me

Carnaval at Cozmel 2013
My neighbor who has moved to a different part of town came by before noon to tell me her granddaughter would be in the Carnaval parade. They would be dancing by our house in a bit, she said. I heard her say nieta, which is granddaughter but I assumed it was the little one. Above is Lucy with probably her grandparents on her father's side, actually not sure. But I just love this photo, taken minutes before the festivities began.

I hate to admit I am not much of a Carnaval person. I don't like crowds. I don't drink alcohol, so I have only been a few times to the main street to watch the parade. But this time, I was lucky enough that the festivities came to me. How cool is that!

The little granddaughter
Pictured here is the little granddaughter watching her cousin perform. I love her outfit and her mask is just precious. 

Cousin Lucy performing

Lucy did a wonderful job, both singing and dancing!

Some of the boys
Here are some of the talented young men, dancing just as well as any of the young women. They were a choreographed and beautiful site to see.

Thanks, Cozumel dancers, for bringing Carnaval to me! (I just keep wondering, is it Carnaval or Carnival? Guess it depends where you celebrate.)

2 comments: